db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Apache Derby Management Tool
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:05:04 GMT
I would rather see the current derby project concentrate on the
engine and not have tools included in it's charter.  It would be
  great to see a separate
project formed for those interested in derby based tools such
as this and others.  Then this could go through the proper
incubation/legal steps.  Sort of how lucene is set up with a
base core project and multiple other projects that are built
on top of the base project.

This new project might also be a good place for database extensions that
are now possible and those that may be enabled in the future.   For
instance I think sharing table function implementations could be
valuable.  This might also be a place to collect libraries of user
defined functions usable in derby - I think one such set suggested in
the past was those implementing spatial capabilities.