db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Derby Management Tool
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:37:51 GMT
Øyvind Jensen wrote:
> Introduction
>
> We're two graduates from South Trøndelag University College (Høgskolen I
> Sør-Trøndelag, HiST) in Norway. We've developed an administration tool for
> Apache Derby as a student project and would like to open it to the
> community process and continue working on it.

[snip]

Sounds interesting.

> Basic functionality
>
> Application programming interface (API)
>
> -Start/Stop database (DB)
> -Change port and DB default directory
> -Run Apache Derby as network server and embedded
> -Create tables and retrieve data
> -Show server parameters and monitoring information
> -Logging (client and server)

I'm not sure what is being proposed here for the above list, Derby
already has api's to do all of the above, is this introducing new
alternate (non-standard?) mechanisms?

[snip]

> We would like to know your opinions on including a graphical management
> tool into Apache Derby. We're aware of the project details when it comes
> to GUIs, but we believe there is no better place to host the code. It will
> ease development and the tool will in turn potentially benefit the
> community.

Such a contribution would require a software grant (see
http://www.apache.org/licenses/#grants ) which in turn requires that
belief from a PMC that it will gain a viable community. One concern is
that typically the overlap in interest and skills between database
internal folk (e.g. the Derby community) and GUI folk is small.

On the other hand it's possible that having a different community work
on an api for management would be confusing as the Derby community
starts to expose management itself through JMX.

As Rick pointed out demonstrating a community somewhere (Apache
Incubator or elsewhere) would be a good first step, also having the code
open might determine a natural split between the api (hosted within
Derby) and the GUI (hosted tbd).

Thanks,
Dan.