db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: higher level background work in the derby server, where should it go?
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:32:04 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Mike Matrigali wrote:
>> [snip] Advanced work might be to make it more dynamic and allow for
>> more threads if on a multi-processor.
>
> The package java.util.concurrent contains several classes etc. relevant
> to this approach, rather than re-inventing threading pooling, e.g. see
> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.
I agree, this looks good.  Use this at the query compilation level of
the code to background the update statistics.  Somehow organize the code
such that this is an optional feature as this utility won't be available
in the small device configuration.

Maybe someday we should look at replacing the Daemon service code with
this (or at least add a alternate module implementation using this code
so we don't lose small device support).