db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Apache Derby Management Tool
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:32:14 GMT
Hi Øyvind and Håvard,

Welcome to derby-dev! What you have built sounds very exciting and
useful. We are definitely in the business of building JMX support for
tools like yours and we can certainly use your help. We get a lot of
requests for GUI admin tools and it would be great to be able to point
those people at your project. I suspect that some of those people would
even be willing to study your code and help you extend it. I could see a
community forming around your contribution.

Derby may be the wrong place for your tool itself, however. I don't want
to discourage you but it seems to me that the Derby charter pointedly
excludes "Database GUI tooling":
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_charter.html#Database+Technology I hope
that someone will correct me here if I am mis-interpreting that part of
our charter. I don't know why the charter excludes GUI tools. I suppose
the community could consider changing that clause.

Another approach might be for you to incubate your code as a separate
Apache DB subproject. Let me know if that's an appealing option. If it
is, I can start a conversation about this on the incubator mailing list.

Another option would be to open-source this code outside Apache but keep
us informed so that we can point people at your project. Once your code
develops a community, it will be more attractive to Apache.

Does anyone else have ideas about how we can help Øyvind and Håvard
develop what sounds like a very useful tool?

Thanks,
-Rick