On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Dag H. Wanvik <Dag.Wanvik@sun.com> wrote:
Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hatlen@Sun.COM> writes:

> although the API could need to be cleaned up and made easier. If someone
> wants to do such a cleanup, I think it would be good because
>
>   a) it may make Derby code that accesses the store simpler (easier to
>   understand, more maintainable)
>
>   b) it is easier for other projects to use Derby's store directly
>   without needing to fork Derby's code base (which potentially
>   increases Derby's user base and the chance of getting contributions
>   back from those projects)

If the API were cleaner/easier, it would also make it more palatable
to produce other backends for Derby. We have had attempts to make main
memory backends; I am not sure why these never made it into
"production", though, could a backend API complexity be one reason?

+1.

You mean something in the line of a Pluggable Storage Engine Architecture like MySQL has
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/pluggable-storage-overview.html