db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject [DISCUSS] Process for contribution of translated message files
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:01:18 GMT
The legal-discuss alias has discussed the process of contributing
localized message files to Derby. Two email threads touch this topic on
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200807.mbox/browser
:

  Blanket software grant
  Question about handling external updates to contributed files

I would like to try to summarize these threads:

1) There seems to be consensus that these files can be checked in under
a committer's ICLA. The committer would enjoy extra protection if the
contributing company's CCLA explicitly granted permission for these
contributions.

2) Although the localizations were prepared by people who have not
signed ICLAs, a commit-by-proxy of their contributions is allowed under
section 4 of the committer's ICLA. See
http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

3) It would be good to document these conclusions on a wiki page.

If the community agrees with these conclusions, then I propose to check
in the 10.4 localizations under my ICLA. In addition, I propose to

A) Capture this discussion on a wiki page

B) Point to that wiki page from my localization JIRA:

Please let me know whether you think this is acceptable.

Thanks,
-Rick