db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Dealing with patches
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:45:52 GMT
>> How do people deal with working on several issues at the same time? It
>> gets complicated when I work on several issues and have to make
>> patches for each one.

I tend to use a single svn client for most of my work. I quite frequently
do the sequence:
  - svn revert -R .
  - patch -p0 <some-patch-i'm-interested-in
  - ant clobber; ant all; ant buildjars

The entire sequence takes less than 5 minutes, so I haven't found it to
be much overhead.

Each time I get a unit of work completed, I run svn diff and package it
up as a patch and attach it to whichever JIRA issue I'm working on. That
way, I've got a history of the intermediate patches I've been working on,
and my most up-to-date patches are always available for others to look at.

I think of this process of attaching intermediate patches to the JIRA
issue as more-or-less the equivalent of committing them to a local version
control. That is, I'm using the technique of multiple patches attached
to a JIRA as my form of local version control, with the added benefit that
these intermediate work products are shared with the community.

thanks,

bryan