db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: simpler api to the Derby store
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:17:42 GMT
Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> writes:

> Aren't there some pretty good packages for this already? E.g., BDB-JE,
> JDBM, Perst, etc.?

Some data points:

BDB-JE is licensed under Sleepycat license, which seems more
restrictive than Apache to me, but IANAL. It seems to require that
using software needs to make source available
(http://www.opensource.org/licenses/sleepycat.php)

JDBM is being incubated as an Apache project.

I see that Perst is dual licenced; GP + commercial licence which makes
it less "free" than Apache code for commercial users.

It would be interesting to know how these stack up on technical merits
too, compared to a possible Derby w/store API...

Thanks,
Dag