db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: categorizing JIRAs
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:47:31 GMT
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Andrew McIntyre <mcintyre.a@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just to be precise, I think that you're referring to the drop-down
>> "Component" menu. I agree that whatever the original meaning of this menu,
>> it has been extended to include items like "Newcomer", "Security", and
>> "Performance", which don't fit my definition of a product Component. If it's
>> ok to continue overloading this menu, then I agree that this is an
>> attractive place to list these bug categories.
>
> I agree that Component is not really the right place for these. I
> don't think we should continue overloading Component like this. I
> think it would be better to add these to a new 'Category'
> multi-checkbox list like the other Derby options. I don't think a
> drop-down select will work because these categories are not mutually
> exclusive, i.e. something can be Newcomer and Performance or High
> Value and Regression.

Derby Categories custom field added for this so people can inspect it
for usefulness. Please comment on whether you think this is useful. If
we have consensus that this is a Good Thing, we can start
transitioning the data that is being tracked elsewhere to the
categories and remove it from elsewhere e.g., Newcomer, Performance
components, High Value Fix wiki page.

Note that Regression really should be in Categories and not Info. I
don't know if the release tooling makes use of it, but I can
transition items with Regression info to a Regression Category if
desired.

Thanks,
andrew