db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: categorizing JIRAs
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:34:41 GMT
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:

> Just to be precise, I think that you're referring to the drop-down
> "Component" menu. I agree that whatever the original meaning of this menu,
> it has been extended to include items like "Newcomer", "Security", and
> "Performance", which don't fit my definition of a product Component. If it's
> ok to continue overloading this menu, then I agree that this is an
> attractive place to list these bug categories.

I agree that Component is not really the right place for these. I
don't think we should continue overloading Component like this. I
think it would be better to add these to a new 'Category'
multi-checkbox list like the other Derby options. I don't think a
drop-down select will work because these categories are not mutually
exclusive, i.e. something can be Newcomer and Performance or High
Value and Regression.

>> Other candidates:
>>
>> - standard deviation
>> - drivers differ
>
> Now I have to ask you for a little more context! What do these categories
> mean?

I think he means:

a) Deviation from a standard: JDBC, SQL, DRDA
b) client and embedded driver differences

It would be good to have categories for those that are searchable in
the Search page, for instance instead of tracking them through
DERBY-310 for embedded/client differences.

andrew