db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: simpler api to the Derby store
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2008 21:34:31 GMT
Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> writes:
>
>> Aren't there some pretty good packages for this already? E.g., BDB-JE,
>> JDBM, Perst, etc.?
>

> JDBM is being incubated as an Apache project.

That would take care any licensing concerns.

Maturity wise, it's unclear to me what state JDBM is in, started at
source forge in 2000 but last release in 2001? I only looked briefly.

The download seems to be around 250k, which could be a better starting
point than Derby. I found a blog entry that said its actual jar file
size was 85k.

Community, well maybe not much community currently around JDBM, but
coming to Apache could change that, especially if folks from Derby got
involved. Seems strange to me for Derby to start up its own lite project
while another is in incubation at Apache. Could be a great opportunity
for two communities to work together rather than against each other.

If JDBM graduated from incubation at Apache, then why would anyone want
to work on slimming Derby down if there was a working solution under the
same license?

Dan.