db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: simpler api to the Derby store
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:33:21 GMT
Thanks for the quick response, Bryan. Some comments inline...

Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>> be useful for applications which just need to put and get data by key
>> value. These would be applications which don't need complex queries
>> or SQL.
>
> Aren't there some pretty good packages for this already? E.g., BDB-JE,
> JDBM, Perst, etc.?
Right, there are other open-source offerings in this area. I think that
Derby's feature set, maturity, and attractive license could occupy a
unique spot in this space.

> Speaking totally personally, I'd sure like to see Derby focus on the
> things that make it special:
>  - complete and correct JDBC implementation
>  - complete and correct SQL implementation
>  - low footprint, zero-admin reliable multi-user DBMS
Absolutely, Derby should continue to be all of the above. But I think
that a Derby Lite option could help us grow our community.

Thanks,
-Rick