db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject simpler api to the Derby store
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:00:17 GMT
I would like to get the community's feeling about whether we could or
should build a simpler api to the Derby store. I think that this could
be useful for applications which just need to put and get data by key
value. These would be applications which don't need complex queries or
SQL. However, these applications might need transactions, multi-user
concurrency, and recoverability. Without the overhead of the SQL
interpreter, it seems that such a kernel could potentially:

1) Consume fewer run-time resources, occupy a smaller jarball footprint,
and so be a better fit for resource-constrained devices.

2) Be faster.

3) Be simpler to use.

Would the community support such an effort or would this fall outside
Derby's charter?

Thanks,
-Rick