db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Advice in debugging plan selection
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:51:37 GMT
Kristian Waagan wrote:
> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>> Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM> writes:

>>> Can we use the system property "os.arch" to determine this?
>>
>> +1
>>
>> The calculation seems unreliable at best, so checking os.arch sounds
>> more robust to me. If we don't know the size of the references on that
>> architecture, or if we don't have permission to read the property, we
>> could fall back to gc() and freeMemory(). In Sun's JVMs you can also
>> check the property sun.arch.data.model, which is 32 when the JVM is
>> 32-bit and 64 if it's 64-bit.
>
> Just for clarity, note that "os.arch" is in the list of mandatory
> properties, "sun.arch.data.model" is not.
> This doesn't mean that we can't use the latter, only we can't expect
> to find it in all JVMs.

One thing I noticed is that our heuristic seems to return 4 for refSize
even on the IBM 1.6 64 bit JVM (with the gc(). I didn't try it
without).  Knut indicated that he had also seen the same issue with Sun
64bit JVM's ).  I wonder two things.
1) Why does the heuristic not give the expected result on 64 bit machines?
2) If we change over to use os.arch and start returning 8 for 64 bit
platforms, do we run too significant a risk of changing query plans and
impacting performance on existing applications run on 64bit machines?

Kathey