db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: protocolTest unsafe operations?
Date Sat, 14 Jun 2008 10:55:31 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren write:
> Hi,
> I see a new 'unchecked or unsafe operations' warning in the build, for
> ProtocolTest.
> Is this something I should log a bug for, or accept as ok?

Hi Myrna,

I don't think it is worth logging a bug for, but I guess we shouldn't
accept the warnings either...
In my sandbox I have made the warnings go away. I had to rewrite some
pre-Java 5.0 code from TestProto to use generics.
These changes will go in with other changes to ProtocolTest soon.

When we start compiling the Derby sources with source level 1.5, I think
we'll get lots of these warnings!
As examples, uses of Hashtable, ArrayList, Vector, Map and
PrivilegedExceptionAction. There's nothing functionally wrong with the
code (hopefully ;) ), but the compiler is unable to verify that all the
casts are safe.
I don't know what the best way to handle the general issue is; rewrite
the old code to use generics, ignore warnings or suppress the warnings?

> Regards,
> Myrna
> -------------------------
> pptesting:
> compile:
>     [mkdir] Created dir: C:\derbyt\svn2\trunk\classes.pptesting
>     [javac] Compiling 10 source files to C:\derbyt\svn2\trunk\classes.pptesting
>     [javac] Note:
> C:\derbyt\svn2\trunk\java\testing\org\apache\derby\impl\drda\ProtocolTest.java
> uses unchecked or unsafe operations.
>     [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.

View raw message