db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Advice in debugging plan selection
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:14:55 GMT
Army wrote:

> If you're in a situation where you have to use printlns, you may want
> to start by printing out the contents of the bestJoinOrder array in
> OptimizerImpl in two places: 1) at the end of rememberBestCost(), and
> 2) at the end of modifyAccessPaths().  The former tells you every time
> the OptimizerImpl thinks it has found a new "best join order" thus far
> in processing, the latter tells you what the OptimizerImpl's _final_
> choice of "best join order" was.  If you print out the cost of the
> join orders (bestCost) as well, and then compare the results from a
> "fail" plan and a "pass" plan, that might give you an indication of
> where to start.  But as I said, there's no silver bullet in tracking
> that kind of thing down...

Well I finally got the printlns with the failing and passing runs. It
seemed much less likely to happen once I put them in, but eventually I
got a hit, but I don't think I am understanding what I am seeing. I
expected to see large costs with the failing run.  But I think I messed
up and printed the current cost instead of the best cost, so I will try
to print that out too and see what happens.

Kathey