db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: categorizing JIRAs
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:21:28 GMT
Thanks for responding, Dag. A couple comments inline...

Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM> writes:
>

>> I'm going through our outstanding bugs now and finding that I would
>> like to divide them into the following buckets:
>>

> I think something that can make us more efficient in categorizing bugs
> and retaining the result of such analyses longer is useful, cf. the
> list we keep for high value fixes. Maintaining manual lists is
> tedious, though.
>
> We already use the category fields for tagging "newcomer" issues, so
> why not augment that with suitable tags?  Since an issue can have many
> categories it seems suited to tagging.  I guess the flags field is a
> good candidate location too - "regression" seem to be a similar tag -
> but maybe flags are harder to add?

Just to be precise, I think that you're referring to the drop-down
"Component" menu. I agree that whatever the original meaning of this
menu, it has been extended to include items like "Newcomer", "Security",
and "Performance", which don't fit my definition of a product Component.
If it's ok to continue overloading this menu, then I agree that this is
an attractive place to list these bug categories.

>> Data Corruptions
>> Crashes
>> Wrong Results
>>

> +1
>

>> Security Holes
>>

> We already have a security category. But I guess we could use this one
> as well? +0.5

Agreed.

>> Slowness
>>

> +1

This one I think we already have today too under the name "Performance".

>> Exceptions
>>

> Not sure what this one means..

Right. This is a bad name. What I mean here are failures other than
crashes or corruptions. E.g., compiler exceptions, out-of-memory errors,
aborts during execution. What would be a better name for this: Aborts?

>> Other bugs
>>

> Do we need that category?

I thought it would be useful to partition bugs among these categories
for easy filtering via JIRA. I don't think you can write a JIRA filter
whose sense is "none of the above".
> Other candidates:
>
> - standard deviation
> - drivers differ

Now I have to ask you for a little more context! What do these
categories mean?

Thanks,
-Rick