db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: print exception trace for failed tests as test completes with derby.tests.trace=true?
Date Sun, 08 Jun 2008 07:27:50 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> I am dealing with a problem where I get a hang in the tests, but
> several tests error before the hang.
> I was thinking it would be useful to print the exception trace for
> failed tests after printing the test if
> derby.tests.trace=true.  Does anyone have objections to such a change?
> The traces would still print
> in the summary at the end of the run.

Just as a point of input, have you looked at DERBY-2667?
There's a patch there that might be of interest:
derby-2667-WriteExceptionsToFileAsTheyHappen.diff

The advantage of the patch over the other approach, is that you'll get
the possibility to look at the stack trace early without having to run
the tests with any special options.

That said, I see the value of having the text based runner print the
name of the test being started too (typically used to figure out which
test is hanging).

regards,
--
Kristian