db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Changes to the STATUS file
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:21:52 GMT
Hi Kristian,

Thanks for volunteering to clean up this file. A couple comments inline...

Kristian Waagan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was looking at the STATUS file we have in the SVN repository, and I
> would like to suggest the following changes:
>
>  1) Add the 10.3.3.0 release to the release list.
>
>  2) Mismatch between release date for 10.4.1.3.
>     The STATUS file says it was release on the 26th of April, whereas
>     the download page says the 24th of April.
>     BTW: Was there ever an [ANNOUNCE] mail for this release?
It looks like Dyre sent an announcement on April 26:
http://www.nabble.com/-ANNOUNCE--Apache-Derby-10.4.1.3-released-td16910783.html#a16910783

>  3) Specify the dates in the release list using the international
>     standard date notation (YYYY-MM-DD). See:
>       http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html
>       http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/iso-date
>       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601
>
>  4) Indent the list of committers in a consistent way.
>
>  5) Clarify what the sentence below means, and possibly remove it.
>     "The Derby sub-project's modules will be available as distinct and
>     discrete downloads".
>
>  6) Remove extra dot character.
>     "full-fledged Apache DB project.."
>

> If the feedback for these changes are positive, I can create a Jira and
> attach some patches for review. I guess change 1 has to go in anyway.
>
> It is not entirely clear to my how often the STATUS file should be
> updated, or if there is anyone who is more responsible than the
> community in general to do it.
Updating the STATUS file is one of our myriad release tasks. (Search for
status on the release instructions wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease ) Also as
Narayanan points out, some of us have urged new committers to test their
commit privileges by recording their election in the STATUS file. Other
than that, the file seems to get updated on an ad hoc basis when someone
like yourself is bothered by its staleness.