db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Is xml-apis.jar still needed?
Date Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:07:43 GMT
Narayanan wrote:
> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I took a brief look at the contents of tools/java/xml-apis.jar in the
>> subversion repository, and it looked as if most of the classes are
>> part of the Java 1.4.2 runtime library. I also tried to remove the
>> file and all references to it in the build system, and the code still
>> built just fine. Does anyone know if the file is still needed? Or was
>> it only needed before when we built the code against the Java 1.3
>> runtime library?
>>
>> Thanks,
> I believe xalan 2.7 jars are needed to run xml tests. The jars that come
> with 1.4 are 2.4.1 and are not sufficient.

Thanks Narayanan,

I'm aware of the fact that we need a newer Xalan for some of the XML
support at runtime. What I would like to know, is if xml-apis.jar is
still needed in order to build Derby. I think it mostly contains
interfaces, not Xalan implementation classes, and these interfaces now
seem to be part of Java SE. If it's not needed to build Derby anymore, I
think it would be good to remove it from the repository. The fewer
third-party jar files we have checked in, the better, IMO.

--
Knut Anders