db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PLEASE REVIEW: New release notes and changes generated for 10.3.3
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 21:25:25 GMT
On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 1:14 AM, Andrew McIntyre <mcintyre.a@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I made a pass at making a real RELEASE-NOTES.html and CHANGES.html for
>  10.3.3.0 based on the latest code and JIRA results. The output is
>  here:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~fuzzylogic/10.3.3.0/RELEASE-NOTES.html
>  http://people.apache.org/~fuzzylogic/10.3.3.0/CHANGES.html
>
>  Please let me know if you have any additions, clarifications, or
>  changes to make.

Replying to my own mail because I want to bring up something I hope to
get comments on a wording issue.

The important notice, originally authored by Stan and updated by me,
includes the following wording:

"If corruption has already occurred the database will need to be recovered
from the last good backup. There is no alternative solution."

I wondering if I should soften this. On the one hand, if the
corruption has occurred and it's just in an index, the user can just
upgrade, drop and recreate the index, and they are good. In other
words, maybe this is going a bit too far, as the user should be able
to salvage some of their data if they've hit this problem.

On the other hand, I think this is a sufficiently alarming statement
that it will encourage users to upgrade to the new release as soon as
possible.

If there are no alternative suggestions, I will leave the text as is.

thanks,
andrew