db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: release notes from deprecated releases
Date Thu, 22 May 2008 18:50:41 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> On 5/22/08, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> The 10.3.2 and 10.3.1 releases have disappeared from our download page. I
>> think that's good because those releases exposed a serious data corruption
>> bug. However, now that those releases have disappeared, how will users
>> retrieve the incremental release notes from 10.3.2 and 10.3.1?
>> Unfortunately, the 10.3.3 release notes are not sufficient for a user who is
>> upgrading from 10.2.2. That is because the 10.3.3 release notes only
>> describe the delta between 10.3.3 and 10.3.2. Users will also want to
>> understand the important compatibility issues documented in the 10.3.1
>> release notes. How should we get this information to our users?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>>

> I was thinking about the same thing...
>
> Maybe we should start including earlier release notes on the same
> branch in subsequent releases, calling them e.g.
> 10.3.1.4_RELEASE-NOTES.html and .10.3.2.1_RELEASE-NOTES.html

Hi Myrna,

This would be a way to repair the situation for the next release
distributions.

> For 10.3, would it be sufficient to add svn links to the RELEASE-NOTES
> with certain revisions on our web site?
> something like:
> for 10.3.1.4:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/code/branches/10.3/RELEASE-NOTES.html?revision=561793&content-type=text%2Fplain
> for 10.3.2.1:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/code/branches/10.3/RELEASE-NOTES.html?revision=599095&content-type=text%2Fplain

I think that's a good suggestion, although when I click on those links,
my browser spins unproductively.

For the release notes bundled in the distributions, maybe a given
RELEASE_NOTES.html should contain a link to the release notes of the
previous release (along the lines of what you're suggesting for the
10.3.3 download page). We could teach the release notes generator how to
do this. Over time, the daisy chain would be long enough to be useful.

Regards,
-Rick