db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: squeezing some multi-processing out of the nightly test runs?
Date Mon, 12 May 2008 13:51:24 GMT
Mike Matrigali wrote:
> I would like to get the nightly tests to run faster on machines that
> have more than one cpu - or even hyperthreaded on a single cpu.  Since
> most of the tests are single threaded I think this means somehow
> running more than one test at a time.  For me
> it might even help if I was just able to run tests on 2 different
> codelines on the same machine at the same time.
> I think going forward this will be more and
> more common for developers.  You can find reasonably priced laptops
> nowadays that come dual core already.
>
> I know what outstanding issue is that the network tests default to the
> same port.  I believe at least for the junit tests one can set a
> different port number.  Does anyone know if this fixes all the issues
> for the junit tests - I think I have seen some tests try different ports
> rather than the default one.
Hi Mike,

I don't know how much work is needed to make the junit tests independent
of the port number. I can't find a JIRA which lists all of the problem
cases. However, the following JIRAs may be helpful: DERBY-2440 and
DERBY-2404.

> Also what is the situation with the derbyall tests.  How much work to
> get the rest of the network server tests converted to junit.
>
> On a separate note how hard would it be to get a test runner to execute
> more than one test (fixture? not sure of the junit terminology),
> at a time.  I don't think we could execute them in the same db as most
> seem to assume they can use any name space and then clean up the whole
> db when they are done.  From those knowledgeable about junit, should I
> look for a test runner with these features or is this just a programming
> job for derby specific tests?  Maybe just a different set of suites?
I haven't experimented with this myself, but the following link might be
useful: https://parallel-junit.dev.java.net/

Thanks for looking into this,
-Rick