db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Test conversion - fixture specific table creation
Date Fri, 09 May 2008 19:38:58 GMT
Suran Jayathilaka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on converting the test store/streamingColumn to JUnit.
> One problem I am facing is as follows.
>
> The many test methods in this class have create  table statements,
> mostly with the same table name "foo".
> A best practice is to move the create statements to the
> CleanDatabaseTestSetup.decorateSQL() method in baseSuite(). But in
> this case, that'll mean more than 20 unnecessary tables that get
> created and dropped for each and every fixture, as according to my
> understanding, the decorateSQL() method is run before each fixture.

decorateSQL is run only once per class. (setup runs once per fixture)
> Is this sort of behavior acceptable in the context of this testcase?
> Or is there a better way to have only the table required for a
> specific fixture be created, while retaining the automatic cleanup
> provided by the decorateSQL() method?

I think it is fine to have the 20 tables created in decorateSQL.  The
other alternative might be to create the table as part of the fixture
itself, but then if you use the same name as is done in the current
test, one failure might lead to cascading failures, so I would vote for
keeping the create tables in decorateSQL.

Kathey