db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject squeezing some multi-processing out of the nightly test runs?
Date Fri, 09 May 2008 17:51:51 GMT
I would like to get the nightly tests to run faster on machines that
have more than one cpu - or even hyperthreaded on a single cpu.  Since
most of the tests are single threaded I think this means somehow running
more than one test at a time.  For me
it might even help if I was just able to run tests on 2 different
codelines on the same machine at the same time.
I think going forward this will be more and
more common for developers.  You can find reasonably priced laptops
nowadays that come dual core already.

I know what outstanding issue is that the network tests default to the
same port.  I believe at least for the junit tests one can set a
different port number.  Does anyone know if this fixes all the issues
for the junit tests - I think I have seen some tests try different ports
rather than the default one.

Also what is the situation with the derbyall tests.  How much work to
get the rest of the network server tests converted to junit.

On a separate note how hard would it be to get a test runner to execute
more than one test (fixture? not sure of the junit terminology),
at a time.  I don't think we could execute them in the same db as most
seem to assume they can use any name space and then clean up the whole
db when they are done.  From those knowledgeable about junit, should I
look for a test runner with these features or is this just a programming
job for derby specific tests?  Maybe just a different set of suites?