db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Vemund Ostgaard <Vemund.Ostga...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: location of derbyTesting.jar (again)
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 09:52:18 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Svein Erik Reknes Løvland wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently downloaded the bin release of 10.4.1.3 and ran some tests
>> on it. I found that derbyTesting.jar was located in $DERBY_HOME/test
>> and not in $DERBY_HOME/lib which makes me wounder if the patch I
>> submitted to DERBY-3638 was wrong? Why the inconsistency with the
>> location of derbyTesting.jar ? Which location is "correct", or have I
>> misunderstood something?
>>
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3638
> Hi Svein Erik,
>
> The location of the jar files in the 10.4.1.3 distribution looks right
> to me. The lib directory is supposed to hold the product jars, that
> is, the jars which we expect people will typically bundle with their
> own applications. We don't expect that people will bundle our tests
> with their applications, so when we generate a release we put the
> tests in a separate location.
I think perhaps Svein Erik is thinking about the fact that when building
your own sane or insane jars, derbyTesting.jar will typically end up in
jars/sane/ or jars/insane/ together with the product jars, but when
downloading the release binaries it is not located with the product jars.

I don't think there is a conflict here, Svein Erik. As Rick explains,
the binary distribution is created that way on purpose. The location of
derbyTesting.jar when building it yourself has a different reasoning I
guess, as when building the code yourself it will normally be for
testing purposes and not deployment.

Vemund