db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Please review my draft for the 10.4 release announcement
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:43:37 GMT
Hi Dyre,

The announcement basically looks good. Please see my comments below.

Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM writes:

> Subject: Apache Derby 10.4.1.3 released
>
> The Apache Derby project is pleased to announce a new feature release
> of Derby, 10.4.1.3.
>
> Apache Derby is a subproject of the Apache DB project.
> Derby is a pure Java relational database engine which conforms to the
> ANSI SQL and JDBC standards. Derby aims to be easy for developers

It's probably better to say ISO SQL instead of ANSI SQL. Or perhaps
ISO/ANSI SQL. American national standards aren't that interesting
outside the US... ;)

> and end-users to work with.
>
> Derby 10.4.1.3 can be obtained from the Derby download site:
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html.
>
> Derby 10.4.1.3 introduces the following new capabilities:
>
> * Asynchronous Replication
>   Allows you to maintain an up to date copy of your (master) database on
>   a different host(the slave).  In the case of crash on the master
                   ^^^                         ^^^
              missing space                     a

>   database you can perform failover to the copy(slave database) and
                                                ^^^
                                            missing space

>   continue serving client requests against your database.
>
> * Security
>   o Shutting down the Network Server now supports user authentication,
>     and in fact requires credentials when authentication is enabled.
>
> * SQL
>   o Table Functions. Using table functions and standard SQL, you can pose
>     sophisticated queries against in-memory collections, flat files, web
>     resources, non-relational databases, etc.. Table functions also let
>     you efficiently import data from web feeds, sensor logs, and other
>     relational databases.
>
>   o Unique constraints on nullable columns.
>
>   o SQL ROW_NUMBER() window function, (for an empty, inlined window
>     specification).
>
>   o Bracketed comments (/* ... */).
>
> * Performance and Memory Usage
>   o New buffer manager with better concurrency.
>
>   o Statement cache in the client driver.
>
>   o Caching of isolation level and current schema in the client
>     driver.
>
> * Administration
>   o Java Management Extensions (JMX) for Java DB, allowing
>     local and remote monitoring and management of running Java DB instances
>     (embedded or Network Server).

I guess you meant Derby...

--
Knut Anders