db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Changes to the release process?
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:18:31 GMT
In another email I have asked the community to vote on the latest 10.4
release candidate. I realize that some people have expressed concern
that this will not let the new release be adequately exposed to the user
community, and I think that this is a valid point. But I would like to
finish this release following the existing release process. I'm very
uncomfortable with the idea of adding new steps at this stage,
especially if those steps will increase the time it takes to get the
release out.

For future releases, I think it would be good to have a discussion about
how the release process can be changed to more actively engage the user
community while at the same time adhering to the Apache
rules/guidelines.

One possible solution could be to create (with a vote) a formal beta
release that users can test, and then create (with a vote) a proper
release based on feedback from from users.

The main challenge that I see with this approach is that, based on past
experience, the time between the beta and the formal release must be
rather long, since it takes time before the user community starts using
any new release. Add to that the time needed to address the issues
discovered while vetting the beta, and you get an (IMO) very long
release cycle. But maybe there are ways around this?

--
dt