db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: 10.3.3 release
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:08:09 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hatlen@Sun.COM> writes:

> Andrew McIntyre <mcintyre.a@gmail.com> writes:
>> Then, as mentioned before, last call will be Friday, and I'll build
>> the candidate Friday or this weekend and call for a vote, with voting
>> ending next Wednesday. I'd like to have a 72-hour vote for this since
>> it's a bugfix off the branch, so the announcement can go out mid-week.
>> Please let me know if you think we should give it a full week.
>
> The only problem I see with a 72-hour vote, is that the bylaws of the DB
> PMC[1] require at least 7 days, unless a majority of the PMC members
> have voted +1 (or -1) before that:
>
>   The minimum and default requirement for a passing vote is simple
>   majority of PMC members casting ballots. The default voting period is
>   10 days and the minimum is 7 days unless the success or failure is
>   arithmetically known.
>
> [1] http://db.apache.org/management.html

I would welcome the ability to have a shorter voting period and
genereally a simplified release process in certain circumstances.

In http://www.nabble.com/Testing-tt16333791.html I argued for a
simplified voting process for beta releases to make it easier to
(legally) gather feedback from users, but back then there did not seem
to be much support for it...

--
dt