db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: [VOTE CANCELLED] 10.4.1.1 release candidate
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:28:53 GMT
Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> writes:

>>> I plan to do this as soon as the fix for DERBY-3347 has been merged to
>>> the 10.4 branch, and then call for a vote on the new RC.
>
> I'm not sure I understand why the availability of additional fixes
> required the cancellation of the previous vote.

It probably doesn't. I just chose that subject because the 10.3 Feature
Release Summary on http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenThreeRelease,
says "Sanity Testing and Voting (Cancelled - blocker DERBY-1963)".

> It seems to me that there are always additional fixes on the horizon.
>
> I don't think we were voting on whether 10.4.1.1 was to be the
> actual *release*;

Ummm, I thought we were. Had it not been for DERBY-3347 I was going to
put it on the mirrors and so on (provided it got PMC approval).

> we were simply voting on whether it was an
> acceptable release *candidate* for making available for advanced
> users interested in helping us test the software prior to release.

So you you considered 10.4.1.1 to be a BETA release candidate that, once
approved through a vote would become a BETA release that users could try
out? And that based on their feedback there would be a proper release
candidate that, if approved, would turn into a proper release?

That was not my plan. Sorry if I gave that impression. The current
description of the release process only mentions one vote, and my
understanding is that it determines if a release candidate can
become a release.

--
dt