db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [Proposal for Review] The fix for DERBY-3347 is important enough for the Development Community to issue a recommendation the User Community to upgrade.
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:47:46 GMT
Andrew McIntyre <mcintyre.a@gmail.com> writes:

> Updating Stan's proposed announcement based on recent feedback...
[snip]

Thanks Andrew, it looks very good!

> Please let me know if you think there is additional information that
> is required. I think addressing this to Derby v10.3 users, along with
> the specific address to 10.3.1 and 10.3.2 users, should cover everyone
> affected.
>
> Are we sure this only affects Windows? If not, I say we leave platform
> specific details out. Other mail from Knut made it appear that this
> was definitely not a platform specific problem, but maybe platform
> specific JVM details make it harder to reproduce on non-Windows
> platforms.

I think these issues have only been reported on Windows (both on Sun's
and IBM's JVMs, though), so we might say something along these lines:
"The problem has only been observed on the Windows operating system, but
it may also happen on other platforms."

> Thanks, Knut, for writing the release note. I don't really have
> anything to add, except maybe we should add exactly why we think the
> problem occurs (multiple threads accessing first page in heavily
> contended scenario). Maybe that's too much information for an end
> user.

Although it's more likely to happen in a highly multi-threaded scenario
with lots of updates, it may also happen in a single-threaded
application that just happens to access a page at the same time as the
checkpoint thread cleans the container cache. Many of the regression
tests that have failed intermittently are single threaded.

--
Knut Anders