db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Showstoppers
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 08:20:46 GMT
Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM> writes:

Thanks for your input, Rick!

> 3) In general I wouldn't hold up the release of incremental
> improvements because some other issue hasn't been fixed. As far as I
> can tell, 10.4 delivers useful features and performance
> improvements. At first blush, it seems to me to be a better
> distribution than 10.3. I would hold up 10.4 only if we had a good
> reason to believe that 10.4 will make the corruption issues worse.

Agreed. There's nothing indicating that 10.4 is worse than 10.3 in this
respect, so it shouldn't block the release. I just wanted to raise the
issue since bugs that cause database corruption are probably the worst
bugs a database system can have.

> 4) It might be worthwhile for the community to focus on bug fixing for
> a couple months. That could include a concentrated effort to track
> down these corruptions.

+1, sounds like a good idea. In the lack of reproducible test cases I
guess we'll have to focus on code review. If we think the corruptions
are caused by multi-threading bugs, using techniques like adding calls
to sleep() strategic places in the code (see DERBY-3393) could perhaps
also help us smoke them out.

--
Knut Anders