db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Mamta Satoor" <msat...@gmail.com>
Subject Developer's Guide : Example for table function creation has NO SQL clause but the Java method uses SQL
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:24:31 GMT
Hi,

I could be understanding this wrong but section "Overview of
Derby-style table functions" in Developer's Guide has following
example
CREATE FUNCTION externalEmployees
()
RETURNS TABLE
(
  employeeId    INT,
  lastName      VARCHAR( 50 ),
  firstName     VARCHAR( 50 ),
  birthday      DATE
)
LANGUAGE JAVA
PARAMETER STYLE DERBY_JDBC_RESULT_SET
NO SQL
EXTERNAL NAME 'com.acme.hrSchema.EmployeeTable.read'

Notice that the example above says NO SQL. Later in the same section,
when we have an example of the implementation of
'com.acme.hrSchema.EmployeeTable.read, it shows the usage of
PreparedStatement to execute a SQL query. I think we need to fix the
CREATE FUNCTION example to say "READS SQL DATA".

thanks,
Mamta