db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems with ant genchanges
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 01:24:18 GMT
> Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
> > I can't seem to get the ant genchanges target to produce a meaningful
> > CHANGES.html. I think I'm feeding it the same fixedBugsList.xml that I
> > used for the release notes, but the resulting CHANGES.html only contains
> > six issues. (fixedBugsList.xml contains more than 100...)
> >
> > Any ideas...?
> >

> Hi Dyre,
>
> I'm afraid I can't be very helpful here. I don't know how to generate an
> xml report from a JIRA filter anymore. I thought that I would get an XML
> report by clicking on "XML" in the Issue Navigator box after running the
> filter. That, however, merely generated an xhtml version of the report
> and not the version containing the tags expected by the
> ChangesFileGenerator program. How are you generating an XML report?
>
> One thing to look out for is this: ChangesFileGenerator seems to throw
> away all issues which are marked as fixed in previous releases. That is,
> ChangesFileGenerator is only trying to list the changes which JIRA says
> are specific to 10.4.1.0. I (sort of randomly) sampled 3 issues visible
> through your "Derby 10.4 Fixed Bugs" filter and noticed that they are
> all marked with 10.3 as one of the "Fix Version" releases. This could be
> short-circuiting your run of genchanges.
>
> Another thing to look out for is this: It appears to me that
> ChangesFileGenerator was custom-built for 10.3. In particular, there is
> code in makeJiraIssue() which seems specific to 10.3. Myrna may be able
> to shed more light on this topic.
>
> Hope this helps,
> -Rick

Rick is correct, the ChangesFileGenerator has some very specific
details regarding 10.3. As I've mentioned before, I had major trouble
creating an xml file (partially because of my choice of browser, I now
think). I think the JiraConnector.java shows still what I used to
create my .xml in the end, and I think it was this query, or something
similar, that I used to get my .xml file:
  "http://issues.apache.org/jira/sr/jira.issueviews:" +
  "searchrequest-xml/temp/SearchRequest.xml?&pid=10594&resolution=1&" +
  "fixVersion=10.3.0.0&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC&" +
  "tempMax=1000&reset=true&decorator=none";

I think this probably results in a bigger .xml file than what you're
using, so I had to narrow things down from there. Also, I made 4 trial
builds, so those too show up in the ChangesFileGenerator. They should
be removed now.

I wanted only those issues that were not already fixed in an already
released version...I think the tool automatically picked the last
released version (in my case, 10.2.2.0), but because of the two
versions off the 10.2 branch, there were a number of issues that had
been backported earlier, and were actually fixed in 10.2.1.6;  hence
that release shows up as to be excluded in the ChangesFileGenerator.

I think you'd want everything that's marked fixed 10.4.0.0, and
10.4.1.0, except if it's marked also fixed in 10.3.1.4, 10.3.1.5
(which issues would've gotten included into 10.3.2.1), or 10.3.2.1
which was also a released version, for those would likely be things
that have gotten backported after the initial release off the 10.3
branch. Issues that got marked fixed in 10.3.2.2 (in addition to
10.4.0) would be ok to pick up. I think that's all the versions?

The ChangesFileGenerator should get modified...

I hope this makes sense...

Myrna