db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about archiving
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2008 21:18:15 GMT
On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 3:09 AM,  <Dyre.Tjeldvoll@sun.com> wrote:
> The DerbySnapshotOrRelease wiki states
>
>  "If this release supercedes a previous release on a branch, be sure to
>  move the old files to the archive."
>
>  This would seem to suggest that the last release off every branch should
>  be in the mirror directory. But currently the mirror directory holds
>
>  db-derby-10.3.1.4
>  db-derby-10.3.2.1
>  db-derby-10.4.1.3
>
>  So no release from 10.0, 10.1 or 10.2, but two from 10.3, and one from 10.4.
>
>  The download page already refers to the archive directory for 10.3.1.4
>  so I guess it can be deleted from the mirror directory.
>
>  But should the dowload page for 10.3.2.1 be changed to refer to the
>  archive directory as well?
>
>  Arguably, 10.4.1.3 does not "supersede 10.3.2.1 on the 10.3 branch". But
>  then again, 10.3.2.1 does not "supersede 10.2.2.0 on the 10.2
>  branch" either. And yet 10.2.2.0 has been moved to the archive...

It is no longer necessary to explicitly archive releases. All releases
published to http://www.apache.org/dist are now automatically
archived. The statement on DerbySnapshotOrRelease should be updated to
reflect this.

In general, releases from branches that have seen little recent
activity are unlikely to happen and should be downloadable only from
the archive. At some point, we should stop advertising them on our
download page as well. I also think that we should probably only link
to the download page for the current release on any branch. So, on
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html, we should probably
only link to 10.4.1.3, 10.3.2.1, 10.2.2.0, and 10.1.3.1. When to
remove 10.1 and 10.2 downloads from the download page is certainly a
topic for discussion. We might want to add a pointer to the archive on
the download page.

10.3.1.4 can be removed from the mirror directory, since it is no
longer current for the 10.3 branch. It looks like you removed 10.3.2
also? Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, we want people to get the
latest, especially since there's not a relatively current 10.3
release. The main thing is to keep the mirror directory (relatively)
clean, with only a couple of releases in there, and not let it get
clogged with lots of old releases.

my $0.02,
andrew