db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [Proposal for Review] The fix for DERBY-3347 is important enough for the Development Community to issue a recommendation the User Community to upgrade.
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:24:31 GMT
Stanley Bradbury wrote:

> I would like to follow up on the suggestion made by Kathey Marsden that
> an announcement be posted to derby-user recommending that version 10.3
> users upgrade to a Derby version that contains the fix for DERBY-3347.
> The email from Binoy Thomas this morning could be an incident of
> DERBY-3347 [Subject: DB gets corrupts in 10.3.1.2!!]

It does not seem absolutely clear from that derby-user thread that upgrading to
10.4.1.3 resolved the issue. Are we still confident (enough) that the issue has
been completely fixed in 10.4.1.3?

 >  *** For Review and comment  ***
>
> NOTICE TO ALL DERBY v10.3 USERS : CRITICAL FIX NOW AVAILABLE
>
> The Bottom Line:
> It is strongly recommended that you upgrade to Derby 10.4.1.3 to avoid
> any chance of database corruption due to DERBY-3347.  Alternatively you
> can build version 10.3 from the current codeline which also contains the
> fix for this defect.

A link to DERBY-3347 on Jira should be included. Not all users know what
"DERBY-3347" means.

One thing I'd been wondering about if I was a regular user coming across this
message is if previous releases also have this bug, e.g. 10.2? I have not
followed the reported issues in detail - do we know more about exactly which
versions contain this bug?

We should probably specify the full version numbers of the specific 10.3
releases, since there may be another 10.3 release soon with the fix included,
and we don't want to confuse people (who may be reading the message in the
archives) more than necessary.

> run the database consistency at least once to validate all tables in the
> database.  This process is documented at:
>
>  http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DatabaseConsistencyCheck

The wiki page looks useful, but would it make sense to include a reference to
some corresponding official documentation (manuals) as well?

I see there is a section called "Checking database consistency" in the Admin
Guide [1], which does not necessarily fit very well with the recommendation
given in the notice (running consistency checks regularly):

"Check consistency only if there are indications that such a check is needed
because a consistency check can take a long time on a large database."

Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks,

--
John