db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Question about archiving
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:31:10 GMT
Hi Dyre,

Some comments inline...

Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
> The DerbySnapshotOrRelease wiki states
>
> "If this release supercedes a previous release on a branch, be sure to
> move the old files to the archive."
>
> This would seem to suggest that the last release off every branch should
> be in the mirror directory. But currently the mirror directory holds
>
> db-derby-10.3.1.4
> db-derby-10.3.2.1
> db-derby-10.4.1.3
>
> So no release from 10.0, 10.1 or 10.2, but two from 10.3, and one from 10.4.

This is a bit mysterious to me. Maybe Andrew can shed some light on this
topic.
> The download page already refers to the archive directory for 10.3.1.4
> so I guess it can be deleted from the mirror directory.

This sounds right to me.
> But should the dowload page for 10.3.2.1 be changed to refer to the
> archive directory as well?

Yes please. This is the intention of the following verbiage under step
(2a) in the "After a successful vote" section of the release instructions:

"Svn delete the cgi script for the previous release. Also, edit its
release page to remove the cgi boilerplate and convert the distribution
links from mirror references to ordinary links. This means removing the
[preferred] tags. To see what this should look like, look at the release
page for an even older release."
> Arguably, 10.4.1.3 does not "supersede 10.3.2.1 on the 10.3 branch". But
> then again, 10.3.2.1 does not "supersede 10.2.2.0 on the 10.2
> branch" either. And yet 10.2.2.0 has been moved to the archive...

Thanks,
-Rick