db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Should I be able to select the same Blob column twice?
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:21:20 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
> It sounds reasonable to harmonize the two drivers. We could also
> disallow the second call to getBinaryStream() (or getBlob()) on both
> drivers, but that would possibly cause more compatibility problems than
> just closing and reopening the stream.

I think the scope of the problem is more than just getBinaryStream().
If I create another table and select the column twice and
insert into the second table, I get the error below, so should this be
legal?

ij> create table t (b1 BLOB(2M), b2 BLOB(2M));
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> insert into t select v, v from T_MAIN;
1 row inserted/updated/deleted
ij> select * from t;
B1
        |B2

ERROR XSDA7: Restore of a serializable or SQLData object of class ,
attempted to read more data than was originally stor
ed
ERROR XJ001: Java exception: ': java.io.EOFException'.