db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Henri van de Scheur <Henri.Vandesch...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: executeQuery hangs
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2008 10:34:21 GMT
Hi Radovan!

Just a shot in the dark, since I do not know what kind of Windows you
run. But if it is Vista, is it possible your installation was upgraded
with SP1 last Friday? In that case your firewall-rules probably have
changed and you have to grant some permissions one more time. I do not
see the correlation with your problem, but only because it happened
'suddenly'.

Henri
Radovan Kobularcik wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a java swing application comunicating with Derby 10.1.2.6 DB through JDBC.
> Since friday one of the application part stoped to work as it cannot get data from database.
> I found that the last operation is executeQuery invoked on prepared statement. It stops
at this point, no another activity (I'm not absolutely sure there is no exception (90%). App
just waits for data from DB endlessly (90%)).

> Facts:
> - everything works fine when application is launched from windows server (= derby server),
problem is when app is invoked from clients (windows net - server & clients)
> - all sql queries from DB before failure point work (abount 10 queries) - these queries
are invoked in the same way as the problematic one.
> - update of database to version 10.2.2.0 and 10.3.2.1 didn't help
> - derby trace shows that derby server received sql and there is also "packet" in trace
file containing correct return data.
> - problematic query (select) is imho big but simple (select from 1 view, it has >800
bytes, size of return data I found in trace file is 27kB)
> - derby check_table function returned 1 (ok)
>
> Later on we found that installing application (also with derby db) from scratch to another
server and copying old DB files (whole db dir) onto the new server helped.
> Doing this with the old server to the original directory didn't help.
>
> What says it is derby problem:
> - activity stops at prepStatement.executeQuery()
>
> What says it is Windows net problem:
> - app works when launched from server machine, doesn't when launched from clients
> - app works when reinstalled to another server
> - app doesn't work when reinstalled to original server to the same directory
>
> Now I'm not sure this is problem of derby or application. Could it be problem of Windows?
(security, net).

--

With regards,

Henri van de Scheur, Database Technology Group,
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway