db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.4 Release Notes
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:51:06 GMT
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
> Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM> writes:
>

>> Hi Dyre,
>>
>> Where would I go to find the latest version of the 10.4 release notes?
>> The version bundled with the 10.4 beta seems to be sketchy. What's
>> checked into the 10.4 branch appears to be a preliminary version of
>> the 10.3 release notes. In the past, we've done a bad job of giving
>> the release manager timely feedback on the release notes. The result
>> has been that the release manager has had to re-spin release
>> candidates just to correct the notes. I was hoping that we could give
>> you timelier feedback this time around.
>>
>> My recommendation would be for you to check your latest version into
>> the 10.4 branch. As people give you feedback this week, you can check
>> in improved versions. However, if you are publishing your interim
>> version someplace else, that can work too.
>>

> I'm on it, but so far the release notes don't appear to be compatible
> with our release note machinery:
>
> genrelnotes:
> [generateReleaseNotes] [Fatal Error] :86:95: The element type "br" must be terminated
by the matching end-tag "</br>".
> [generateReleaseNotes] The following JIRA issues still need release notes or the release
notes provided are unreadable:
> [generateReleaseNotes]  DERBY-3073      SQL roles: add parser support
> [generateReleaseNotes]  DERBY-3023      Different result rows depending on the sequence
of INNER JOIN and OUTER JOIN
> [generateReleaseNotes]  DERBY-2925      Prevent export from overwriting existing files
> [generateReleaseNotes]  DERBY-2351      ORDER BY with expression with distinct in the
select list returns incorrect result
> [generateReleaseNotes] The following other errors occurred:
> [generateReleaseNotes]
> [generateReleaseNotes] Unable to read or parse release note for DERBY-2351: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException:
The element type "br" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "</br>".
> [generateReleaseNotes] org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The element type "br" must be terminated
by the matching end-tag "</br>".
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.parse(Unknown Source)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder.parse(DocumentBuilder.java:98)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.derbyBuild.ReleaseNoteReader.getReleaseNote(ReleaseNoteReader.java:130)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.derbyBuild.ReleaseNotesGenerator.getReleaseNote(ReleaseNotesGenerator.java:724)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.derbyBuild.ReleaseNotesGenerator.buildIssuesList(ReleaseNotesGenerator.java:650)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.derbyBuild.ReleaseNotesGenerator.execute(ReleaseNotesGenerator.java:382)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:275)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:364)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:341)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:369)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1216)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1185)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:40)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1068)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:668)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:187)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:246)
> [generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:67)
>
> Can those working on the relevant issues please take a look?
>
> Thanks,

Hi Dyre,

I have fixed most of these issues as follows:

DERBY-3073: I unchecked the "Existing Application Impact" and "Release
Note Needed" because this work has been disabled on the 10.4 branch,.

DERBY-2925: I renamed the release note to be "releaseNote.html", which
is the file name expected by the release notes generator.

DERBY-2351: I fixed some markup which choked the xml parser.

The remaining issue in your list is DERBY-3023. There may be some
confusion here. In previous releases, we only expected to see release
notes for issues which had "Release Note Needed". This issue does not
have that box marked and the issue doesn't have a release note. However,
looking at the description of the issue, I could see a case for wanting
a release note for this one. I will send another mail message re-stating
the question you posed on this issue two weeks ago.

Regards,
-Rick