db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject What is a beta build?
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 12:33:05 GMT
I'm getting ready to upload a beta build of the 10.4 release to
people.apache.org, but I'm a bit unsure about exactly what I should
upload.

Initally I thought that building a snapshot (as described here
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease#head-ca6374d27cdfcc7180a5c6d88505574d049bdc18
) was the right thing to do, but now I'm wondering if it rather should be as
close to a release candidate as possible, but without the beta flag?

When I look at the instructions for building a snapshot vs building a
release, the only difference I see is that for the RC you also do

'ant publishedapi' and 'ant sign'

For a release candidate the instructions tell you to "copy the files
from tools/release to your public_html directory on people.apache.org."
Is this true for a beta build as well?

I noticed that after running 'ant snapshot' I have a top-level directory
called snapshot containing the following:

-rw-r-----   1 clustra  9956184 Mar 14 11:20 db-derby-snapshot-10.4.1.0-637024.tar.gz
-rw-r-----   1 clustra  10148714 Mar 14 11:20 db-derby-snapshot-10.4.1.0-637024.zip
-rw-r-----   1 clustra  11360730 Mar 14 11:20 db-derby-snapshot-debug-10.4.1.0-637024.tar.gz
-rw-r-----   1 clustra  11551758 Mar 14 11:20 db-derby-snapshot-debug-10.4.1.0-637024.zip
-rw-r-----   1 clustra  3090051 Mar 14 11:20 derby_core_plugin_10.4.1.637024.zip
-rw-r-----   1 clustra       50 Mar 14 11:20 maintversion.properties

is this sufficient for a beta build?

I tried searching the mail archives to see what was done for previous
releases and I found emails containing urls to directories holding
beta builds, but those directories were all long gone. So I don't know
what they once contained...

Any advice here would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

--

Dyre Tjeldvoll