db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: Preparing to cut the 10.4 branch
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:21:39 GMT
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM writes:

> Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> writes:
>
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>
>>> When I run sysinfo against the branch, it reports that the version
>>> id is "10.4.0.1 alpha - (635685)". It think that you need to modify
>>> the 3rd digit in the release id. I believe that is the secret
>>> handshake which turns an alpha into a beta.
>>
>> The "secret handshake" is documented here:
>>
>>   http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/versionupgrade.html
>
> I'm sorry, but this is utterly confusing to me.
>
> tools/ant/properties/release.properties contains a property called
> 'beta' that can either be 'true' or 'false'
>
> The wiki page (http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease)
> talks about the 'beta flag'.
>
> You are saying that the 'beta flag' does not refer to the previously
> mentioned property, but to whether or not the 3rd digit of the version
> number (the fixpack number) is 0 or not?
>
> So when, if ever, do you modify the beta property?
>
> On the Wiki page the process of bumping the fixpack number appears to be
> described in the section called 'Check-ins just before generating
> release artifacts".
>
> But I might as well do it now, is that what you're saying?

I did some experimenting, and here are the results:
Alt A:
With maint=0000001 and beta=true
10.4.0.1 alpha - (635861)

Alt B:
With maint=0000001 and beta=false
10.4.0.1 alpha - (635861M)

Alt C:
With maint=1000001 and beta=true
10.4.1.1 beta - (635861M)

Alt D:
With maint=1000001 and beta=false
10.4.1.1 - (635861M)

So I thought alt. A was correct for the period from when the branch is
cut up to the point when the first RC is spun (targetted for
2008-04-04), alt. C for the RC and alt. D for the final release.

But based on the comments I take it that I should go immediately to alt.
C, and that alt. D should be used for the RC. If someone confirms this
I can check in the change to release.properties and update the Wiki.

Thanks,

--
dt