db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Junjie Peng" <pjj.c...@gmail.com>
Subject (GSOC)ask for further suggestions
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:18:01 GMT
Dear kathey:
    I have set up the building and test environment following your advice.
The test cases run well.:)
    When I studied the document
"db-derby-10.3.2.1-src/java/testing/Readme.txt",
I found a bug in it. In section "2. QuickStart 2.1 running tests", It says:

To run a suite:

syntax:
  java -D<testproperty>
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunSuite  <testsuite>
where

   -

      <testproperty> are test specific properties, such as 'verbose' for
   the RunSuite class.
   -

      <testsuite> is one of the suites under
   org/apache/derbyTesting/suites

for example for running  the suite derbylang:
   java -Dverbose=true
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunSuite derbylang

   However, the sentence in bold is not correct. I found <testsuite> should
be "one of the suites under org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/suites".

   After the environment was OK, I tried to challenge(#DERVBY-3536)"change
derby.tests.trace property to print the name of the test before it
runs it"<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3556>
.I planed to write  setUp() and tearDown() into the class "BaseTestCase",
but I don't know how to read the property "trace". Just today, I have found
the issue has been finished by Suran Jayathilaka( Congratulations!). I have
read the two patches, and found that I could not get the right results with
the "db-derby-10.3.2.1-src.zip" package------It's not provided with the
property "derby.tests.trace". After a new version was checked in by SVN,
everything is OK. Now, my revision  is 640631.

    When I read the source codes, I found some codes didn't comply with the
java specs strictly, such as absence of descriptions for params and return
value. It seems to be a part of our work in the GSOC.

     Well, Kathey, may I get your more advice about what other things should
to do  before I apply on google?

     Regards

     Junjie