db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about generating release notes
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:07:43 GMT
On 3/14/08, Dyre.Tjeldvoll@sun.com <Dyre.Tjeldvoll@sun.com> wrote:
> Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM writes:
>
> > I have not yet looked through all 10.4 issues with a release note, but I
> > wanted to do a "dry-run" generation just to check that everything works.
> >
> > I'm looking at
> > http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ReleaseNoteProcess
> >
> > where it says:
> >
> >       Report - Generates two xml JIRA reports:
> >
> >             fixedBugsList.xml - This is the list of issues addressed by the release
> >
> >             releaseNotesList.xml - This is the list of issues bearing detailed releaseNotes.html
explanations.

> > Just how do I create those two xml files? Do I get them from a Jira
> > filter? Or do I need to create them by hand?
>
> So I figured out that the release notes generator expects the type of
> xml file you can get from a Jira filter, so I expect that's what I
> should do.
>
> But are there pre-defined filters which I should use for
> fixed bugs and release note issues, respectively? If not; which criteria
> should I use?
>
> And what if an issue is marked with 'Existing Application Impact' ONLY,
> and there is no releas note for it? Should it be mentioned somewhere?
>
> --
> dt

For what it's worth, when I was doing the first trials for 10.3 I ran
into major trouble with this - mostly because I was attempting to use
MS Explorer as my browser, which didn't allow me to save as xml. To
get past this, I had created a xmlfile generator, which would get xml
and manipulate the records after. But it wasn't a very robust tool and
it got to be very confusing with multiple candidates. Neither Rick
(for the final 10.3.1.4) nor Kathey (for 10.3.2.1) tried to do this
and the references were removed from the wiki.

I think at 10.3 trial versions I reviewed the 'Existing Application
Impact' issues, and decided that most merited a release note...I think
however, that existing application impact flag may possibly be left in
place for savvy JIRA users who could search JIRA for items marked that
way.

Myrna