db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Mike Matrigali (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Updated: (DERBY-3362) ControlRow NPE
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2008 17:51:41 GMT

     [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3362?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel
]

Mike Matrigali updated DERBY-3362:
----------------------------------

    Attachment: derby-3330v13.diff

not ready for commit, have not run full tests.  Am having trouble reproducing in my environment
but pretty sure this will fix the issue.  It fixed it when I by hand caused the code down
the path that is being reported by the submitted stack traces.

If it passes full set of tests and I can't come up with a repro test case, will likely commit
soon.

> ControlRow NPE
> --------------
>
>                 Key: DERBY-3362
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3362
>             Project: Derby
>          Issue Type: Bug
>    Affects Versions: 10.3.2.1
>            Reporter: James Alan Shepherd
>            Assignee: Mike Matrigali
>         Attachments: derby-3330v13.diff, derbylog.zip
>
>
> I have a NPE in Derby 10.3.2.1 (10.3.1.4 does not show this behaviour) that is probably
the same one discussed in DERBY-3216
> FATAL 38406 [Main] (Start.java:153) - Start FAILED
> org.springframework.transaction.TransactionSystemException: Could not commit JDBC transaction;
nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: Java exception: ': java.lang.NullPointerException'.
> Caused by:
> java.sql.SQLException: Java exception: ': java.lang.NullPointerException'.
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.javaException(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.commit(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingConnection.commit(DelegatingConnection.java:238)
>         at org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource$PoolGuardConnectionWrapper.commit(PoolingDataSource.java:199)
>         at org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DataSourceTransactionManager.doCommit(DataSourceTransactionManager.java:245)
>         at org.springframework.transaction.support.AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.processCommit(AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.java:651)
>         at org.springframework.transaction.support.AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.commit(AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.java:621)
>         at org.springframework.transaction.support.TransactionTemplate.execute(TransactionTemplate.java:146)
>         at com.aaa.bbb.cccFactory$ddd.add(cccFactory.java:324)
>         at com.aaa.eee.fff.ggg.reload(ggg.java:44)
>         at com.aaa.eee.fff.ggg.startup(ggg.java:57)
>         at com.aaa.eee.fff.Start.startupEee(Start.java:170)
>         at com.aaa.eee.fff.Start.startup(Start.java:146)
>         at com.aaa.start.Starter.startup(Starter.java:264)
>         at com.aaa.start.Main.startup(Main.java:270)
>         at com.aaa.start.Main.main(Main.java:199)
> Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Java exception: ': java.lang.NullPointerException'.
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown
Source)
>         ... 21 more
> Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.ControlRow.getControlRowForPage(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.ControlRow.get(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.ControlRow.get(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.BTreePostCommit.purgeRowLevelCommittedDeletes(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.BTreePostCommit.performWork(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.Xact.postTermination(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.Xact.completeCommit(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.Xact.commit(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.Xact.commit(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.RAMTransaction.commit(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.conn.GenericLanguageConnectionContext.doCommit(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.conn.GenericLanguageConnectionContext.userCommit(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.commit(Unknown Source)
>         ... 15 more
> and derby.log:
> 2008-01-28 08:26:36.148 GMT Thread[Main,5,main] (XID = 1888), (SESSIONID = 2), (DATABASE
= directory:myDB), (DRDAID = null), Executing prepared statement: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ZZZ
WHERE nID IS NULL :End prepared statement
> 2008-01-28 08:26:36.150 GMT Thread[Main,5,main] (XID = 1888), (SESSIONID = 2), (DATABASE
= directory:myDB), (DRDAID = null), Committing
> 2008-01-28 08:26:36.188 GMT Thread[Main,5,main] (XID = 1888), (SESSIONID = 2), (DATABASE
= directory:myDB), (DRDAID = null), Cleanup action starting
> 2008-01-28 08:26:36.188 GMT Thread[Main,5,main] (XID = 1888), (SESSIONID = 2), (DATABASE
= directory:myDB), (DRDAID = null), Failed Statement is: null with 2 parameters begin parameter
#1: 1 :end parameter begin parameter #2: 1 :end param
> eter
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.ControlRow.getControlRowForPage(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.ControlRow.get(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.ControlRow.get(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.BTreePostCommit.purgeRowLevelCommittedDeletes(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.BTreePostCommit.performWork(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.Xact.postTermination(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.Xact.completeCommit(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.Xact.commit(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.Xact.commit(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.RAMTransaction.commit(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.conn.GenericLanguageConnectionContext.doCommit(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.conn.GenericLanguageConnectionContext.userCommit(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.commit(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.commit(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingConnection.commit(DelegatingConnection.java:238)
>         at org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource$PoolGuardConnectionWrapper.commit(PoolingDataSource.java:199)
>         at org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DataSourceTransactionManager.doCommit(DataSourceTransactionManager.java:245)
>         at org.springframework.transaction.support.AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.processCommit(AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.java:651)
>         at org.springframework.transaction.support.AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.commit(AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.java:621)
>         at org.springframework.transaction.support.TransactionTemplate.execute(TransactionTemplate.java:146)
>         at com.aaa.bbb.cccFactory$ddd.add(cccFactory.java:324)
>         at com.aaa.eee.fff.ggg.reload(ggg.java:44)
>         at com.aaa.eee.fff.ggg.startup(ggg.java:57)
>         at com.aaa.eee.fff.Start.startupEee(Start.java:170)
>         at com.aaa.eee.fff.Start.startup(Start.java:146)
>         at com.aaa.start.Starter.startup(Starter.java:264)
>         at com.aaa.start.Main.startup(Main.java:270)
>         at com.aaa.start.Main.main(Main.java:199)
> Cleanup action completed
> This is a long transaction that has suddenly started throwing a NPE.
> Nothing strange happens during the transaction, but on closing I get
> the NPE.
> If I reorder some of the statements in the transaction (keeping
> functional equivalence) the NPE is sometimes not thrown.
> I have already moved any table/index create statements to a different (previously committed)
transaction. (I have had a few NPE before and locking issues that led me to this practice).
> For a while I thought that shutting down derby after creating tables solved the problem,
but this has been proven false.
> I have tried to run with a sane version, but then I am blocked by too many DERBY-3360.
> Also:
> On occasion the transaction DOES commit. Or seems to, but then Derby becomes unresponsive,
the db files do not grow, but CPU rises and new connections can connect but get no response
to commands. I don't know if this is really connected or not, but I thought I would mention
it, as this unresponsive problem is what I am supposed to be diagnosing. When I say seems
to commit, I mean that sometimes commit returns, sometimes it doesn't. Not very helpful, I
know.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


Mime
View raw message