db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Latest javadoc not on web-site
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:29:35 GMT
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Dyre Tjeldvoll <Dyre.Tjeldvoll@sun.com> wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>  > The last update to the javadoc on the web-site seems to be 22-Feb-2008.
>  >
>  > http://db.apache.org/derby/javadoc/publishedapi/
>  >
>  > I know there was an issue with javadoc creation, but I thought it was
>  > fixed.
>  >
>  > Where can I look to see what's failing, I couldn't quickly find any
>  > explanation of how this javadoc appears.

I've been copying the doc builds with a scheduled process on a machine
of mine to people.apache.org using scp. It would be hard to share
failure information publicly because it would mean copying it off the
private machine, and if it's the copy process itself that is broken
then that's not really possible. :-)

I suppose an improvement here would be to have a scheduled process
that check timestamps on the files on people and sends mail if they're
out of date by a week.

But a better solution would be for the DB project to get a Solaris
Zone on zones.apache.org and then we could do the doc build and push
to the website from there, and the process would be accessible and
maintainable by all the Derby committers. Alas, DB has no zone. I've
suggested that we get one before, as it would be useful for other
things like automated build and push of the website. I don't have time
to chase down the details of creating a zone right now, but I'll help
out in some way if I can. An interested party should look here:

http://www.apache.org/dev/solaris-zones.html

I thought it used to require involvement from infra and a PMC vote,
etc., but it looks like that has changed. It now looks like Jean, as
PMC Chair, may have the necessary karma to just go create one,
although she should probably still get the rest of the PMC and
infrastructure involved first.

>  John mentioned that the documentation on the web site did not seem to
>  get updated after one of his doc fixes was checked in... Could these
>  things be related? Don't remember the Jira number right now.

I'm not sure what was wrong with the javadoc copy, I've kicked off the
javadoc copy by hand and it seems to be running fine. I'll keep an eye
on it. I'm still investigating, but the doc copy looks like some sort
of permissions problem due to a recent restore of people.a.o from
backup. I'll send a followup mail once I have it figured out.

andrew