db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: No vote on the 10.4.1.0 beta
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:09:54 GMT
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
> The discussion has shown that
>
> - only formal releases (beta or not) can be exposed to users

Only formal releases can be promoted on the project website, which is
the first place that users look for downloads.

Unless I'm mistaken (anybody feel free to correct me), the goal is to
protect users from naively using (and putting into production) a product
that has not been approved by the PMC.

I see no problem with inviting users to participate in the testing of a
release candidate. Perhaps a good way to handle this might be a post to
derby-user saying "Derby developers are testing a release candidate for
10.4 and we invite you to participate. If you're interested, more
information is available on derby-dev, see <url to derby-dev post>.
Please join us there."

That invites users to consciously test a release candidate, and pulls
them into the derby-dev side.

does anyone see any problems with this approach?

 -jean