db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Testing
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:06:47 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>>> Isn't there something called lazy consensus? Would that not be good
>>> enough for a beta...?
>>>
>> Lazy consensus never applies to a release (whether beta or not).
>>
> I think the bar can be lower  and the voting period shorter for beta
> though.  I think three +1 PMC votes based on informal testing would be
> ok.  I'd be willing to vote +1 for your release as beta, based on the
> compatibility testing I did.

I agree that a beta bar can be lower.  I'd be inclined to be lenient on
technical issues, but not on licensing issues.

Three +1 PMC votes is all that is required, anyhow. As for a shorter
period, the db guidelines specify a 10 day default and a 7 day minimum
for a vote [1]. That's something the PMC could always look into changing.

 -jean

[1] http://db.apache.org/management.html