db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Testing
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:10:48 GMT
> I think there was some distinction in the Apache policy regarding
> "visible to developers" versus "visible to users", right?

Following up on my own message, the two important Apache-wide
policy links appear to be:
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
and http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#releases

 From the former page, we read that 10.4, right now, is a "Test package",
and we read this guidance:

   During the process of developing software and preparing a release,
   various packages are made available to the developer community for
   testing purposes. Do not include any links on the project website that
   might encourage non-developers to download and use nightly builds,
   snapshots, release candidates, or any other similar package. The only
   people who are supposed to know about such packages are the people
   following the dev list (or searching its archives) and thus aware
   of the conditions placed on the package. If you find that the general
   public are downloading such test packages, then remove them.

I think that the bottom line is that:

  - the release candidate builds should *not* be linked from the wiki, and
  - I made a mistake when I made a posting regarding the release candidate
    on the derby-user list; release candidates should only be discussed
    on the derby-dev list.

My apologies, I'll try to be more careful in the future.

thanks,

bryan