db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: (GSOC)ask for further suggestions
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:27:35 GMT
Junjie Peng wrote:
> Dear kathey:
>     I have set up the building and test environment following your
> advice.  The test cases run well.:)
>     When I studied the document
> "db-derby-10.3.2.1-src/java/testing/Readme.txt", I found a bug in it.
> In section "2.
Thanks for finding the bug. You should be working off of the trunk
though. See checking out the source for the development trunk at:
http://db.apache.org/derby/dev/derby_source.html

I think probably the bug is there too.

>     When I read the source codes, I found some codes didn't comply
> with the java specs strictly, such as absence of descriptions for
> params and return value. It seems to be a part of our work in the GSOC

Updating javadoc is a good task, if you see areas you would like to
improve go ahead.

> .
>
>      Well, Kathey, may I get your more advice about what other things
> should to do  before I apply on google?

I'd say the first thing to do is file a Jira and put in a patch to fix
the bug you found in README.htm  and get your application ready. Make
sure you mention in your application the work you have done already on
Derby and your prior programming experience.  If you want to make
another change before the application deadline, maybe start on a small
test conversion.  Maybe lang/big.sql  would be good.  I'd say convert it
by hand, don't use the conversion program, so you become familiar with
how to convert.

See
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/KillDerbyTestHarness
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ConvertOldTestToJunitTips